News & Events
The Town of DeWitt will host a free Major League Baseball® Pitch Hit & Run Competition for area youth.
Date: Friday, April 30
Time: 6:00 - 8:00pm
Click here to register!
Pitch Hit & Run™ is the official skills competition of Major League Baseball®. This grassroots program is designed to provide youngsters with an opportunity to compete, free of charge, in a competition that recognizes individual excellence in core baseball/softball skills.
Boys and girls are divides into four age divisions: 7/8, 9/10, 11/12, 13/14 and have the chance to advance through three levels of competition, including Team Championships and the Finals during the World Series™.
All participants should register online and plan to bring age verification (copy/picture of birth certificate or similar) to the competition. Click here to register now!
Carrier Park...more than you think!
Exciting news for Carrier Park…
HOST FOR THE 2021-2023 NJCAA WOMEN’S SOFTBALL
Carrier Park really is…more thank you think!
The Carrier Park recreation facility was announced as host for the 2021-2023 National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Division III Women’s Softball Championships; the first tournament will come to town May 27th to 29th, 2021.
Town Supervisor Ed Michalenko commented, “Coming back together as a community and ensuring the health and well-being of our citizens is the imperative right now, but meeting the coming economic challenges that lie ahead is job #2; this tournament will help us do that.”
The tournament is:
- A chance for players and their families to visit CNY and our play at our “world-class” Willis Carrier Park facility.
- An opportunity for our kids – especially aspiring softball and baseball stars! – to see real-life softball stars play the game!
- A significant economic development opportunity; generating sports tourism dollars – via hotel, gas, restaurant, retail and entertainment spending - not only for the town of DeWitt, but Onondaga County and the CNY region as well.
The NJCAA Championship is a double-elimination tournament and includes eight teams who play over 3 days; the addition of a fourth day is being discussed.
A youth softball clinic will be held in conjunction with the tournament, with the possibility of another clinic being offered at Carrier Park late this summer or early fall, depending on the precautions related to the Coronavirus.
- Willis Carrier Park, opened in 2016, is a $12.5 million state-of-the-art, all inclusive, multi-sport facility for children and adults, including those with special needs. It is the home of the Syracuse Challenger Baseball program.
- When completed, the park will be one of the first fully integrated, fully handicap accessible outdoor complexes in the CNY region.
- The original design of the park includes up to 9 championship tournament quality fields, including 2 dynamically designed super turf fields which can be utilized for baseball, softball, lacrosse, soccer, football, field hockey and other special events.
The Town of DeWitt…we’re building community.